3 steps to a NIE in Madrid
Applying for a NIE should be one of your top priorities when you arrive in Madrid. But what is a NIE and how do you get one?
A NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero) is required for almost everything in Spain. If you have economical, professional or social interests in Spain, you need to apply for a NIE. It is a unique identification number used as a type of fiscal number for foreigners who conduct financial activities in Spain.
Without a NIE, it will be more complicated and in some cases even impossible to, for example, register at the town hall, pay taxes, buy a car, open a bank account or apply for a Spanish driving license. It's also recommended to apply for a NIE for children. Spaniards have a NIF (Número de Identidad Fiscal).
It´s relatively easy for Europeans to apply for a NIE. An address is required even if it's temporary. So, how to apply for a NIE in Madrid? Below, I will explain the procedure for EU citizens.
Step 1: make an appointment (cita previa)
Go to: --> acceder al procedimiento. Choose in provinicas disponibles: Madrid. Choose in 'trámites disponibles': certificados UE --> aceptar.
Then you get a list of documents to hand over. Click 'entrar'. Fill out your passport number, name and then you will find three optional dates you can choose. Select one date to make the appointment.
It depends on how busy it is, but in general it shouldn´t take more than a couple of weeks to get an appointment.
Step 2: collect the required documents
If you are a family with children, prepare the following documents:
- the form EX-18 (this number on the form changes from time to time) filled out and signed;
- confirmation of the appointments;
- your valid passports and photocopies of them;
- the form, modelo 790 (código 12). You can get this form from the location where you have your appointment so go early and give yourself plenty of time to get the form, fill it in and go to the bank and pay a fee of € 12 (in 2018). Go, for example, to Bankia, Avenida Padre Piquer 6;
- bank statement proving you have more than 6,500 € in your bank account, translated in Spanish by a sworn translator;
- proof of (private) health insurance with coverage in Spain (translated in Spanish by a sworn translator);
- if you have a job in Spain: employment contract and the last 3 payslips (original and photocopies). In other situations I recommend calling 060 (information number Madrid, in Spanish), to see what's required in your situation;
- marriage certificate - translated in Spanish by a sworn translator (if your wife or husband needs a NIE as well);
- NIE of other family members (original and photocopy, if one applied for a NIE at an earlier stage);
- for children: the original birth certificate (partida de nacimiento), and a translated copy by a sworn translator, apostille plus the original passport and a photocopy. And bring your children
Step 3: Go to the appointment
Make sure to go to your appointment (expect to wait a while). The location in Madrid where the appointment for the NIE usually takes place is in the Southwest part of Madrid:
Avenida Padre Piquer 18 (metro Campamento).
If you need to make photocopies or print a document, you can go to the Correos Office at Avenida Padre Piquer 13, Madrid.
If all documents are approved, you will receive your NIE-card at the same time. Safeguard this card. You will be automatically registered in the Register for European Union Citizens (Certificado de Registro como Residente Comunitario).
Please note that procedures, locations and necessary documentation change from time to time. Make sure to remain informed and updated.
Do you need help with your NIE?read more about our NIE package
© Quilantro, Lilian Hermans